1. How long and where the martial law is under effect?
The military status came into effect on November 26th from 14:00 for a period of 30 days, which will terminate on December 26, 2018, at 14:00 inclusive. The law is applicable to 1o Ukrainian oblasts. Among them are the Vinnytsia, Lugansk, Mykolaiv, Odesa, Sumy, Kharkiv, Chernihiv, as well as Donetsk, Zaporizhzhia, Kherson regions and inland waters of Ukraine of the Azov-Kerch water area.
2. The martial law does not influence:
- The presidential election in Ukraine. It is scheduled for March 31, 2019.
- Banks and banking institutions run business in ordinary more. Non-cash payments and transactions are not limited.
- Justice system is conducted exclusively by the courts.
- Temporary entry of military status cannot serve as an automatic reason for non-fulfillment of contractual obligations.
- The temporary effect of the military in specific regions of Ukraine does not mean an automatic restriction of constitutional rights and freedom of citizens and legal entities.
3. What restrictions can be introduced by the public authorities?
- To Confiscate property, vehicles, equipment for needs of the state
- To use production facilities of the enterprises operated on the territory under martial law for defense purposes.
- To change the schedule and regime of the enterprises’ work, as well as working conditions.
- Carrying out an inspection of the housing and office spaces.
- Use premises for the servicemen and workers and population.
- To verify documents of the citizens, their personal things and luggage.
- To restrict freedom of movement and free choice of place of residence. The special regime for entering and leaving the country can come into effect.
- To introduce a curfew, which means for the residence restrictions to stay in public paces for a specific period of time without special permission.
- To involve employees of the enterprises and organizations to carry out specific types of work necessary for defense activities.
- To establish a special regime in the field of production and marketing of medicines with psychotropic substances and precursors. The list is determined by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
- To restrict the distribution of the information by the public media.
4. Which restrictions are introduced by the Government as of November 30th, 2018?
- Prohibition for the foreign citizens to enter the Crimea.
- Prohibition for the 16-60-year-old male citizens of the Russian Federation to enter Ukraine
Source: Arzinger Law Firm